Can a child get a passport without both parents’ signatures?

Read your divorce decree or child custody order. If it doesn’t specifically address passports, you will not be able to get a passport for your child without the other parent’s notarized signature and a copy of the front and back of their driver’s license. If you are the mother and there is no father listed on the birth certificate, you can obtain a passport. Also, if you don’t know where the other parent is, and you have no method of contacting them, you can submit form DS 5525 with the passport application. Granting of a passport under this provision is discretionary and is done on a case-by-case basis.

Can I Get a Passport for My Child Without the Other Parent’s Signature? from Bolton Law on Vimeo.

Bolton Law
Take the First Step,
You'll be Glad You Did

Bolton Law, led by board-certified lawyer Ruby Bolton, handles all types of divorce and family law matters.

With decades of combined experience, our team will work tirelessly to get you the outcome you deserve.