When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in Texas?

If you are someone who pays child support regularly, you are most likely wondering when you are allowed to stop. To learn more about when you can stop child support payments and what expectations to this law may be, continue reading and reach out to our experienced Montgomery County family law attorney. Here are some of the questions you may have:

When can I stop paying child support in Texas?

In most cases, child support ends when a child turns 18 or when they graduate from high school (whichever comes later.) However, there are various exceptions to this law. For example, a child can become legally emancipated before they turn 18. A minor can become emancipated at the age of 16 or 17 if he or she is:

  • Joining the military
  • Petitioning the court to be complimentary from parental control
  • Getting married

Another exception to this law is when an adult child has a physical or mental disability that requires medical care. In this case, the parent can request a continuation of child support for an indefinite period.

The court will consider the adult child’s existing and future medical needs, as well as the parent’s financial resources and the amount of care each parent will need to provide. The court will also consider any other programs that may provide financial assistance to care for the child.

Further exceptions of child support ending at the age of 18 include the following circumstances:

  • The child passes away
  • The paying parent suffers a significant medical crisis.

It is important to note that when a child turns 18, or when they graduate high school, their child support does not automatically come to an end. Instead, the parent must contact the Child Support Division of the Attorney General’s office once they have confirmed that they should stop paying child support by checking the final order. After they have contacted the Child Support Division, either a stop payment will be issued or a letter to stop withholding income can be sent to your employer.

If you have any other questions or you believe you no longer have to pay child support, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are here to help you through the process.

Contact Our Montgomery County Firm

If you are looking for an expert Montgomery County divorce lawyer, Bolton Law is the right law firm for you. Bolton Law’s legal team handles all family law matters, including divorce, child custody, child support, alimony, and much more. Contact Bolton Law today to schedule your initial consultation.